Close Menu
Boston Sports News
    What's Hot

    A bipartisan Senate bill is coming to stabilize college sports. What’s in it, and will it work?

    August 19, 2026

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    August 19, 2026

    Parasitic infection sparking ‘explosive’ diarrhea reported in Massachusetts

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • A bipartisan Senate bill is coming to stabilize college sports. What’s in it, and will it work?
    • Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon
    • Parasitic infection sparking ‘explosive’ diarrhea reported in Massachusetts
    • Seven Eagles Score in Season-Opening Win
    • Patriots Eye Double Dip From AFC East Rival Before Eagles Practices
    • Largest high school football stadiums in the US
    • Roger Bennett speaks on Men in Blazers’ success after 2026 World Cup
    • Massachusetts dominates national high school rankings
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Boston Sports News
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Boston Sports News
    • Boston Area Colleges News
    • Boston High School Sports
    • Massachusetts Charity Games
    • All Massachusetts News
    • US Sports News
    • World Sports News
    Boston Sports News
    Home»All Massachusetts News»Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives $46 million from FEMA
    All Massachusetts News

    Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives $46 million from FEMA

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsMarch 19, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives  million from FEMA
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Massachusetts has received more than $46 million in federal money for World Cup preparations, a long awaited windfall that will ease money woes plaguing the effort.

    The state confirmed receiving the money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency late Wednesday. The infusion is part of a tranche of $625 million to support the 11 cities hosting World Cup matches this summer. It will help pay for security measures, including police and emergency response, operational exercises, background checks, and cybersecurity, FEMA said in a statment.

    “This grant program provides valuable funding to host cities, helping them strengthen security operations and protect their communities,” Andrew Giuliani, Executive Director of the White House Task Force on the FIFA World Cup 2026, said in the FEMA statement.

    Massachusetts officials were reviewing the grant and did not yet have specifics on how the money would be allocated, a spokesperson for Governor Maura Healey said Thursday morning.

    World Cup games are scheduled across the United States, Canada, and Mexico over nearly five weeks this summer and are expected to draw about two million people to New England. Local preparations have involved both Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

    Massachusetts is scheduled to host seven games at Gillette Stadium, and preparations are already being hindered by money woes. Last week, Boston Soccer 26 — the local host committee with members close to Patriots owner Robert Kraft — appeared to not have the $170 million needed to host the event, according to reporting from the Boston Globe. The group announced earlier this month that it had just $2 million in the bank, though another $30 million was expected.

    Foxborough held off on granting FIFA and the Kraft Group an entertainment license for months because they hadn’t paid $8 million up front. The delay threatened Massachusetts’ ability to host matches until it was resolved Tuesday.

    The ongoing partial shutdown at the Department of Homeland Security delayed distribution of the funds, federal officials have said, but one Democrat in Congress, New Jersey’s Nellie Pou, has said the federal funds were already overdue when the shutdown began.

    “DHS’s own notice of funding opportunity for this grant program listed the anticipated award date as ‘no later than January 30, 2026.’ Well before the funding impasse,” Pou wrote on the social media site X. “It’s time for DHS to do its job.”


    Jason Laughlin can be reached at jason.laughlin@globe.com. Follow him @jasmlaughlin.

    Cup FEMA Massachusetts million PREP receives world
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCollege Football’s Pre-Spring Rankings: Top 10 Coaches on the Hot Seat for 2026
    Next Article Iran out of 2026 FIFA World Cup, says sports minister
    BostonSportsNews
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World Sports News

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    Parasitic infection sparking ‘explosive’ diarrhea reported in Massachusetts

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    World Sports News

    Roger Bennett speaks on Men in Blazers’ success after 2026 World Cup

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 18, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    Massachusetts dominates national high school rankings

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 18, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    Massachusetts $2 million Powerball winner revealed

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 18, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    Cyclospora outbreak now includes Massachusetts, FDA says.

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    A bipartisan Senate bill is coming to stabilize college sports. What’s in it, and will it work?

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026

    Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) announced plans Wednesday for a bipartisan college…

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    August 19, 2026

    Parasitic infection sparking ‘explosive’ diarrhea reported in Massachusetts

    August 19, 2026

    Seven Eagles Score in Season-Opening Win

    August 19, 2026
    Top Posts

    Little League Baseball World Series 2025: Bracket, results, scores, schedule, teams and more

    August 14, 202592 Views

    Hopkinton girls named soccer All-Americans – Boston Herald

    August 12, 202570 Views

    Kyle Dugger, Javon Baker among six Patriots training camp surprises – NBC Sports Boston

    August 13, 202567 Views

    Why Bruins Top Prospect Is Returning To BC

    August 14, 202563 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    bostonsportsnews brings fast, focused updates from Boston’s sports scene. From pro teams to local leagues, college matchups to high school games, it covers everything that matters to Boston fans.
    Stay connected with real-time scores, game previews, fan reactions, historic moments, and events across the city.

    Our Gallery
    useful links
    • Donate Now
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    All Rights Reserved By BostonSportsNews

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.