Close Menu
Boston Sports News
    What's Hot

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    August 20, 2026

    Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List

    August 20, 2026

    Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster
    • Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List
    • Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series
    • U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases
    • First EEE-positive mosquitoes of 2026 detected in Massachusetts
    • Boston College AD denies basketball broadcast team’s firing was tied to new coach Luke Murray
    • New Bedford police release more details on Flock amid investigation of officer accused of tracking ex-girlfriend
    • High school sports shouldn't come with a price tag | Opinion
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Boston Sports News
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Boston Sports News
    • Boston Area Colleges News
    • Boston High School Sports
    • Massachusetts Charity Games
    • All Massachusetts News
    • US Sports News
    • World Sports News
    Boston Sports News
    Home»World Sports News»Iran out of 2026 FIFA World Cup, says sports minister
    World Sports News

    Iran out of 2026 FIFA World Cup, says sports minister

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsMarch 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Iran out of 2026 FIFA World Cup, says sports minister
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Iran will not participate at the 2026 North American World Cup, according to the country’s sports minister Ahmad Donyamali.

    Iran’s participation in the tournament co-hosted by the United States has been in doubt after the U.S. and Israel launched attacks on Iran starting on Saturday, Feb. 28.

    The military campaign killed the nation’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and dozens of top officials. Iran has responded with attacks on several U.S. military facilities and other targets around the Middle East.

    Amid the growing conflict, Donyamali said that it was not feasible for Iran to send a team to the United States in just three months.

    “Considering that this corrupt regime [the US] has assassinated our leader, under no circumstances can we participate in the World Cup,” Donyamali told state television. “Our children are not safe and, fundamentally, such conditions for participation do not exist.

    “Given the malicious actions they have carried out against Iran, they have forced two wars on us over eight or nine months and have killed thousands of our people. Therefore, we definitely have no possibility of participating in this way.”

    The World Cup will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico between June 11 and July 19.

    Iran is currently scheduled to play New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, Belgium in Los Angeles on June 21 and Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

    Donyamali’s comments came after FIFA president Gianni Infantino said that U.S. President Donald Trump told him that Iran would be “welcome” at the World Cup despite the ongoing conflict.

    But last week, Trump said in an interview with Politico that he didn’t care if Iran played at the World Cup.

    USA TODAY Sports reached out to FIFA for comment on Donyamali’s declaration that Iran wouldn’t participate at the World Cup. The governing body said it had nothing to add beyond Infantino’s statement on his meeting with Trump.

    Under FIFA regulations, the governing body has broad latitude to replace a country that withdraws from a World Cup.

    According to Article 6.7 of FIFA’s World Cup regulations: “If any Participating Member Association withdraws and/or is excluded from the FIFA World Cup 26, FIFA shall decide on the matter at its sole discretion and take whatever action is deemed necessary.”

    The next team up could be Iraq, which qualified for an inter-confederation playoff later this month in Mexico. Iraq will face either Bolivia or Suriname on March 31 with a spot in the World Cup on the line.

    But Iraq has also been caught up in the conflict. With the country’s airspace currently closed and domestic-based players unable to travel, head coach Graham Arnold recently requested a delay in his country’s World Cup playoff match.

    Cup FIFA Iran minister Sports world
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMassachusetts’ World Cup prep receives $46 million from FEMA
    Next Article USA baseball stunned by World Baseball Classic championship defeat
    BostonSportsNews
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World Sports News

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    World Sports News

    U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    US Sports News

    High school sports shouldn't come with a price tag | Opinion

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    World Sports News

    NWSL regulars Ullmark, Fuller lead pros on USWNT U-20 World Cup roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    US Sports News

    A bipartisan Senate bill is coming to stabilize college sports. What’s in it, and will it work?

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    World Sports News

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026

    Illustration: Morning Brew Inc., Photos: The Athletic This summer’s FIFA World Cup marked the setting…

    Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List

    August 20, 2026

    Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series

    August 20, 2026

    U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases

    August 20, 2026
    Top Posts

    Little League Baseball World Series 2025: Bracket, results, scores, schedule, teams and more

    August 14, 202592 Views

    Hopkinton girls named soccer All-Americans – Boston Herald

    August 12, 202570 Views

    Kyle Dugger, Javon Baker among six Patriots training camp surprises – NBC Sports Boston

    August 13, 202567 Views

    Braintree baseball is riding high into the Little League World Series

    August 14, 202564 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    bostonsportsnews brings fast, focused updates from Boston’s sports scene. From pro teams to local leagues, college matchups to high school games, it covers everything that matters to Boston fans.
    Stay connected with real-time scores, game previews, fan reactions, historic moments, and events across the city.

    Our Gallery
    useful links
    • Donate Now
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    All Rights Reserved By BostonSportsNews

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.