Close Menu
Boston Sports News
    What's Hot

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    August 20, 2026

    Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List

    August 20, 2026

    Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster
    • Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List
    • Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series
    • U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases
    • First EEE-positive mosquitoes of 2026 detected in Massachusetts
    • Boston College AD denies basketball broadcast team’s firing was tied to new coach Luke Murray
    • New Bedford police release more details on Flock amid investigation of officer accused of tracking ex-girlfriend
    • High school sports shouldn't come with a price tag | Opinion
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Boston Sports News
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Boston Sports News
    • Boston Area Colleges News
    • Boston High School Sports
    • Massachusetts Charity Games
    • All Massachusetts News
    • US Sports News
    • World Sports News
    Boston Sports News
    Home»All Massachusetts News»Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives $46 million from FEMA
    All Massachusetts News

    Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives $46 million from FEMA

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsMarch 19, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Massachusetts’ World Cup prep receives  million from FEMA
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Massachusetts has received more than $46 million in federal money for World Cup preparations, a long awaited windfall that will ease money woes plaguing the effort.

    The state confirmed receiving the money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency late Wednesday. The infusion is part of a tranche of $625 million to support the 11 cities hosting World Cup matches this summer. It will help pay for security measures, including police and emergency response, operational exercises, background checks, and cybersecurity, FEMA said in a statment.

    “This grant program provides valuable funding to host cities, helping them strengthen security operations and protect their communities,” Andrew Giuliani, Executive Director of the White House Task Force on the FIFA World Cup 2026, said in the FEMA statement.

    Massachusetts officials were reviewing the grant and did not yet have specifics on how the money would be allocated, a spokesperson for Governor Maura Healey said Thursday morning.

    World Cup games are scheduled across the United States, Canada, and Mexico over nearly five weeks this summer and are expected to draw about two million people to New England. Local preparations have involved both Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

    Massachusetts is scheduled to host seven games at Gillette Stadium, and preparations are already being hindered by money woes. Last week, Boston Soccer 26 — the local host committee with members close to Patriots owner Robert Kraft — appeared to not have the $170 million needed to host the event, according to reporting from the Boston Globe. The group announced earlier this month that it had just $2 million in the bank, though another $30 million was expected.

    Foxborough held off on granting FIFA and the Kraft Group an entertainment license for months because they hadn’t paid $8 million up front. The delay threatened Massachusetts’ ability to host matches until it was resolved Tuesday.

    The ongoing partial shutdown at the Department of Homeland Security delayed distribution of the funds, federal officials have said, but one Democrat in Congress, New Jersey’s Nellie Pou, has said the federal funds were already overdue when the shutdown began.

    “DHS’s own notice of funding opportunity for this grant program listed the anticipated award date as ‘no later than January 30, 2026.’ Well before the funding impasse,” Pou wrote on the social media site X. “It’s time for DHS to do its job.”


    Jason Laughlin can be reached at jason.laughlin@globe.com. Follow him @jasmlaughlin.

    Cup FEMA Massachusetts million PREP receives world
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCollege Football’s Pre-Spring Rankings: Top 10 Coaches on the Hot Seat for 2026
    Next Article Iran out of 2026 FIFA World Cup, says sports minister
    BostonSportsNews
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World Sports News

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    World Sports News

    U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    First EEE-positive mosquitoes of 2026 detected in Massachusetts

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    World Sports News

    NWSL regulars Ullmark, Fuller lead pros on USWNT U-20 World Cup roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    All Massachusetts News

    Blue plates are special in Massachusetts

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    World Sports News

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026

    Illustration: Morning Brew Inc., Photos: The Athletic This summer’s FIFA World Cup marked the setting…

    Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List

    August 20, 2026

    Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series

    August 20, 2026

    U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases

    August 20, 2026
    Top Posts

    Little League Baseball World Series 2025: Bracket, results, scores, schedule, teams and more

    August 14, 202592 Views

    Hopkinton girls named soccer All-Americans – Boston Herald

    August 12, 202570 Views

    Kyle Dugger, Javon Baker among six Patriots training camp surprises – NBC Sports Boston

    August 13, 202567 Views

    Braintree baseball is riding high into the Little League World Series

    August 14, 202564 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    bostonsportsnews brings fast, focused updates from Boston’s sports scene. From pro teams to local leagues, college matchups to high school games, it covers everything that matters to Boston fans.
    Stay connected with real-time scores, game previews, fan reactions, historic moments, and events across the city.

    Our Gallery
    useful links
    • Donate Now
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    All Rights Reserved By BostonSportsNews

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.