Close Menu
Boston Sports News
    What's Hot

    GLOBAL SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT LEADER DAZN ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF VIEWLIFT TO ACCELERATE US EXPANSION AND CREATE COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SPORTS TEAMS’ LOCAL MEDIA RIGHTS

    August 21, 2026

    College sports advocates press philanthropy to buffer NIL’s commercial pressure on women’s sports

    August 21, 2026

    EEE detected in mosquitoes in Massachusetts for the first time in 2026

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • GLOBAL SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT LEADER DAZN ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF VIEWLIFT TO ACCELERATE US EXPANSION AND CREATE COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SPORTS TEAMS’ LOCAL MEDIA RIGHTS
    • College sports advocates press philanthropy to buffer NIL’s commercial pressure on women’s sports
    • EEE detected in mosquitoes in Massachusetts for the first time in 2026
    • Boston College Football 2026 Top 20 Player Rankings: No. 9
    • Get tickets to Patriots vs. Steelers: Best prices, seats, date for NFL Week 2 game
    • How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster
    • Pair In Eagles Secondary Named to Senior Bowl Top 300 Watch List
    • Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Boston Sports News
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
    • Boston Sports News
    • Boston Area Colleges News
    • Boston High School Sports
    • Massachusetts Charity Games
    • All Massachusetts News
    • US Sports News
    • World Sports News
    Boston Sports News
    Home»Boston Sports News»For Bourne, the new Sagamore Bridge takings echo a long past
    Boston Sports News

    For Bourne, the new Sagamore Bridge takings echo a long past

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsFebruary 2, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    For Bourne, the new Sagamore Bridge takings echo a long past
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link



    Local News

    The state’s move to acquire and demolish 13 homes stirs memories of earlier projects that carved up the town.

    For Bourne, the new Sagamore Bridge takings echo a long past
    Joyce Michaud, photographed in her home with the Bourne Bridge in the background.
    Suzanne Kreiter / The Boston Globe, File

    Along Eleanor Avenue in Bourne, a small, tight-knit neighborhood with deep roots is about to disappear. The state is taking 13 homes to make way for the new Sagamore Bridge and its network of access roads. 

    Some of the families have called the street home for decades and have established connections with their neighbors — eating at each other’s dinner tables, shoveling each other’s driveways, and asking about children and grandchildren. 

    “That’s what’s tough about eminent domain,” said Phillip Michaud, whose 80-year-old mother Joyce’s home deed transferred to the state earlier this month. “You take a small community and all the homes there, they’re now all going to be scattered all over.” 

    Her home is one of four properties the state has acquired so far. Officials say they need the land in the Round Hill neighborhood to build two new arch-style bridges and their accompanying roadways, with construction expected to begin in 2028 and stretch into the late 2030s.

    For Bourne, though, forced relocation is nothing new. Residents have endured waves of land takings for more than a century — from the construction of the Cape Cod Canal, to the arrival of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, to transportation projects that reshaped local business districts.

    The canal

    According to the state, in 1904, financier August Belmont II and civil engineer William Barclay Parsons began construction of the Cape Cod Canal to help ships avoid the dangerous outer banks of Cape Cod.

    That construction came at a steep local cost. The company making the canal demolished around 25 homes and relocated about another 10, said Jerry Ellis, 91, a lifelong Bourne resident, former selectman, and superintendent of the Sagamore Cemetery.

    Even the family home of Jonathon Bourne, the town’s namesake, was taken. 

    But even more disturbing was the matter of relocating two cemeteries. According to Boston Post clippings from 1909, 17 bodies from the Bourne Cemetery and 45 from the Emory Ellis Cemetery needed to be moved, as they stood in the path of the proposed canal. 

    According to a Boston Post article from July 17, 1909, Emory Ellis effectively stopped canal construction by blocking efforts to relocate bodies from his family’s cemetery by posting “No trespass” signs.

    Jerry Ellis added that Emory guarded the grounds with a shotgun until he obtained preferred burial plots in the Sagamore Cemetery, which are still there today.  

    A dredger digging the Cape Cod Canal in 1914. Courtesy of Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber.

    There have been several land takings in Bourne since, Ellis said, but nothing recently like what is happening near the bridge. 

    Some of the homes in the neighborhood date back to the mid-1950s, and the same families have lived there for decades, he said. 

    Ellis said that when the neighborhood was built up through the early 2000s, “no one ever foresaw” the state would build a new bridge. It wasn’t until five or six years ago that plans evolved to include expanding the bridges, raising the possibility of eminent domain. 

    Looking ahead, Ellis, who sees a tight housing market in the Sagamore village, said, “I have no idea where they will move to.” 

    Taylor’s Point

    Selectman Peter Meier said he understands what residents are facing — his own grandparents lost their home when the Massachusetts Maritime Academy expanded into Taylor’s Point. In the 1960s, the state took more than 100 properties for the academy, and many owners took the money and moved on, especially those with second homes.

    Meier’s family was luckier: A nearby home went up for sale, allowing them to stay. Today, about 100 homes remain in Taylor’s Point, a mix of year-round and summer residences.

    Even now, when Mass Maritime discusses expanding by purchasing properties as they become available, it revives memories of those takings — despite a memorandum of understanding promising the academy will no longer use eminent domain.

    “It will always be in the back of their mind because it has been done to them,” Meier said.

    The town also took nine properties in the neighborhood to build a marina in the 1980s aimed at revitalizing Buzzards Bay. Unlike other takings, Meier said, that one wasn’t contentious.

    Route 25 expansion 

    In 1982, the same year construction on the marina began, after 25 years of battling the state over plans to run a highway through her family’s farmland, Hope Ingersoll won her court battle. 

    According to The New York Times, state transportation officials said they would run the final 2.5-mile section of Route 25 around most of Grazing Fields Farm, resulting in the big curve seen in the highway today leading up to the Bourne Bridge. 

    Although the highway bypassed the farm, Meier said, construction relocated some key roadways in the town and placed businesses that were once at the center of traffic on a dead end. 

    The flyover

    The Sagamore Bridge with the new flyover, looking west. David Kamerman / The Boston Globe, File

    More land takings happened when the Sagamore Rotary was replaced by a “flyover” in 2006 to 2007 to ease traffic congestion. The project took a few homes and businesses with it. 

    Meier said the Bourne Chamber of Commerce lost their visitor center, and the Sagamore Fire Station moved down the street. 

    In one case, the Sorenti Brothers Inc., which owned a Shell gas station and convenience store, won $5.3 million in a 2015 verdict. 

    Replacement of the Sagamore Bridge

    If Meier could make these problems go away, he would. But he understands it’s for the better good. 

    “We are a very resilient community,” he said. “We’ve been through a lot, and we will persevere, and we’ll be a better community for it.”

    For Michaud, who also grew up in the Round Hill neighborhood, he will be spending the next few months packing up his mother’s house and searching for a place she can afford nearby — if one exists. The family is appealing the state’s offer, arguing it falls below fair market value.

    Still, he’s trying to stay hopeful.

    “I think it’ll all work out,” Michaud said. “I have faith the state will do the right thing. But right now, none of us knows where we’re going next.”

    Profile image for Beth Treffeisen

    Beth Treffeisen is a general assignment reporter for Boston.com, focusing on local news, crime, and business in the New England region.

    Sign up for the Today newsletter

    Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

    Bourne Bridge echo long Sagamore takings
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMHSAA approves NIL financial deals for high school athletes
    Next Article Boston College Women’s Basketball Drops 16th Consecutive Game: The Rundown
    BostonSportsNews
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Boston Sports News

    Get tickets to Patriots vs. Steelers: Best prices, seats, date for NFL Week 2 game

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 21, 2026
    Boston Sports News

    Boston Red Sox Release 19-Year-Old Pitcher Before Giants Series

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    Boston Sports News

    New Bedford police release more details on Flock amid investigation of officer accused of tracking ex-girlfriend

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    Boston Sports News

    Bruins Forward Could Be In Danger Of Losing His NHL Spot

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    Boston Sports News

    Patriots Eye Double Dip From AFC East Rival Before Eagles Practices

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    Boston Sports News

    Fresh off romp, Red Sox bid to continue power surge vs. D-backs

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    GLOBAL SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT LEADER DAZN ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF VIEWLIFT TO ACCELERATE US EXPANSION AND CREATE COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SPORTS TEAMS’ LOCAL MEDIA RIGHTS

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 21, 2026

    Transaction underscores DAZN’s ambition to play pivotal role in US sports ecosystem DAZN and ViewLift’s…

    College sports advocates press philanthropy to buffer NIL’s commercial pressure on women’s sports

    August 21, 2026

    EEE detected in mosquitoes in Massachusetts for the first time in 2026

    August 21, 2026

    Boston College Football 2026 Top 20 Player Rankings: No. 9

    August 21, 2026
    Top Posts

    Little League Baseball World Series 2025: Bracket, results, scores, schedule, teams and more

    August 14, 202592 Views

    Hopkinton girls named soccer All-Americans – Boston Herald

    August 12, 202570 Views

    Kyle Dugger, Javon Baker among six Patriots training camp surprises – NBC Sports Boston

    August 13, 202567 Views

    Braintree baseball is riding high into the Little League World Series

    August 14, 202564 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    bostonsportsnews brings fast, focused updates from Boston’s sports scene. From pro teams to local leagues, college matchups to high school games, it covers everything that matters to Boston fans.
    Stay connected with real-time scores, game previews, fan reactions, historic moments, and events across the city.

    Our Gallery
    useful links
    • Donate Now
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    All Rights Reserved By BostonSportsNews

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.