Close Menu
Boston Sports News
    What's Hot

    Could the unlikely savior of US college sports be … Donald Trump?

    August 21, 2026

    Global Sports Tourism (2026-2031) – Growth Driven by Rising Demand for Live Sporting Events and Experiential Travel

    August 21, 2026

    Massachusetts leads nation in top high schools, innovation

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Could the unlikely savior of US college sports be … Donald Trump?
    • Global Sports Tourism (2026-2031) – Growth Driven by Rising Demand for Live Sporting Events and Experiential Travel
    • Massachusetts leads nation in top high schools, innovation
    • 2026 Boston College Football Preseason: McKenzie Making The Transition
    • Bruins Headed to Munich for Games in 2027 NHL Global Series
    • GLOBAL SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT LEADER DAZN ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF VIEWLIFT TO ACCELERATE US EXPANSION AND CREATE COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS FOR SPORTS TEAMS’ LOCAL MEDIA RIGHTS
    • College sports advocates press philanthropy to buffer NIL’s commercial pressure on women’s sports
    • EEE detected in mosquitoes in Massachusetts for the first time in 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Boston Sports News
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
    • Boston Sports News
    • Boston Area Colleges News
    • Boston High School Sports
    • Massachusetts Charity Games
    • All Massachusetts News
    • US Sports News
    • World Sports News
    Boston Sports News
    Home»World Sports News»Iran says ‘no one can exclude’ soccer team from 2026 World Cup tournament
    World Sports News

    Iran says ‘no one can exclude’ soccer team from 2026 World Cup tournament

    BostonSportsNewsBy BostonSportsNewsMarch 15, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Iran says ‘no one can exclude’ soccer team from 2026 World Cup tournament
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

    The Iranian men’s national soccer team has pushed back on speculation over the team’s status for the 2026 World Cup, which is largely taking place in the U.S., releasing a statement Thursday saying that “no one can exclude” the squad from competing. 

    The statement posted on social media follows remarks from Iran’s sports minister casting doubt on the team’s participation and President Donald Trump’s earlier remarks that the team would be welcome to compete but that it might not be “appropriate” as the conflict in the Middle East continues. 

    Iran celebrates goal

    Mehdi Taremi of Iran celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2026 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers Group A game against Uzbekistan at Azadi Stadium March 25, 2025, in Tehran, Iran. (Fatemeh Bahrami/Anadolu)

    “The World Cup is a historic and international event, and its governing body is FIFA — not any individual country. Iran’s national team, with strength and a series of decisive victories achieved by the brave sons of Iran, was among the first teams to qualify for this major tournament,” the statement posted to Instagram stories said. 

    CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

    “Certainly, no one can exclude Iran’s national team from the World Cup; the only country that could be excluded is one that merely carries the title of ‘host’ yet lacks the ability to provide security for the teams participating in this global event.”

    Iran is scheduled to play in Inglewood, California, against New Zealand June 15 and Belgium June 21 before finishing group play against Egypt in Seattle June 26. The U.S. is hosting the tournament with Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19.

    Trump was indifferent last week when asked about Iran’s participation in the World Cup, telling Politico, “I really don’t care.” 

    Trump talks to Infantino

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino and President Donald Trump arrive on the red carpet ahead of the FIFA World Cup 2026 Final Draw at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Dec. 5, 2025. (Brian Snyder/Reuters via Imagn Images)

    TRUMP SAYS IRAN’S WORLD CUP PARTICIPATION MAY NOT BE ‘APPROPRIATE,’ WHILE ADDING MEN’S TEAM IS STILL ‘WELCOME’

    But earlier this week, FIFA President Gianni Infantino said Trump “reiterated” to him in their recent talks that Iran’s soccer team would be “welcome to compete” in the U.S. 

    “We also spoke about the current situation in Iran, and the fact that the Iranian team has qualified to participate in the FIFA World Cup 2026. During the discussions, President Trump reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States,” Infantino said in a post shared on Instagram. 

     “We all need an event like the FIFA World Cup to bring people together now more than ever, and I sincerely thank the President of the United States for his support, as it shows once again that Football Unites the World.”

    Iran’s sports minister claimed later that a squad could not be sent to the World Cup. 

    Iran soccer team celebrates

    Iranian players celebrate after a 2026 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers Group A game against Uzbekistan at Azadi Stadium March 25, 2025, in Tehran, Iran, after securing qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup with a 2-2 draw against Uzbekistan. (Fatemeh Bahrami/Anadolu)

    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

    “Considering that this corrupt regime has assassinated our leader, under no circumstances can we participate in the World Cup,” ​​Sports Minister Ahmad Donyamali told state television, via Reuters.

    Trump doubled down in a Truth Social post Thursday that Iran would be “welcome” to compete in the World Cup, but he added, “I really don’t believe it is appropriate that they be there, for their own life and safety.” 

    Iran qualified for its fourth straight World Cup as the 20th-ranked team in the world by FIFA. The Iranian federation was unable to attend meetings in Atlanta last week to help teams prepare for the 48-nation tournament but is due to attend FIFA’s annual congress in Canada next month.

    The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

    Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

    Cup exclude Iran soccer team tournament world
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCould starfish skeletons help preserve Massachusetts roads?
    Next Article Matthew Tkachuk talks Trump phone call
    BostonSportsNews
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World Sports News

    Global Sports Tourism (2026-2031) – Growth Driven by Rising Demand for Live Sporting Events and Experiential Travel

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 21, 2026
    World Sports News

    College sports advocates press philanthropy to buffer NIL’s commercial pressure on women’s sports

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 21, 2026
    World Sports News

    How the World Cup boosted The Athletic’s audience and sponsor roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    World Sports News

    U-20 World Cup roster set after NWSL, college teams grant releases

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 20, 2026
    World Sports News

    NWSL regulars Ullmark, Fuller lead pros on USWNT U-20 World Cup roster

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    World Sports News

    Lionel Messi comes up short at World Cup, but run secured status as all-time icon

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Could the unlikely savior of US college sports be … Donald Trump?

    By BostonSportsNewsAugust 21, 2026

    Female athletes and Olympic sports athletes, two overlapping groups that have long thrived in US…

    Global Sports Tourism (2026-2031) – Growth Driven by Rising Demand for Live Sporting Events and Experiential Travel

    August 21, 2026

    Massachusetts leads nation in top high schools, innovation

    August 21, 2026

    2026 Boston College Football Preseason: McKenzie Making The Transition

    August 21, 2026
    Top Posts

    Little League Baseball World Series 2025: Bracket, results, scores, schedule, teams and more

    August 14, 202592 Views

    Hopkinton girls named soccer All-Americans – Boston Herald

    August 12, 202570 Views

    Kyle Dugger, Javon Baker among six Patriots training camp surprises – NBC Sports Boston

    August 13, 202567 Views

    Braintree baseball is riding high into the Little League World Series

    August 14, 202564 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    bostonsportsnews brings fast, focused updates from Boston’s sports scene. From pro teams to local leagues, college matchups to high school games, it covers everything that matters to Boston fans.
    Stay connected with real-time scores, game previews, fan reactions, historic moments, and events across the city.

    Our Gallery
    useful links
    • Donate Now
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    All Rights Reserved By BostonSportsNews

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.